Thursday, January 27, 2011

Our Temples

I've been thinking a lot about my body as a Temple.  I've been doing a lot of cleansing of the inside of my Temple, the spiritual part of me.  That has been very rewarding. It wasn't until I read this article about sugar that something started to connect for me.  It talked about how sugar causes depression, weight gain, severe pms, and pre-mature wrinkles.  To quote Mr. Gru(you know from Despicable Me?), LIGHT-BULB!  My body, my temple houses my spirit.  By abusing myself with sugar I am making it more difficult for the spirit to dwell with me.  I have been experiencing all of the above!!  And it hasn't been fun.  I have slightly increased my sugar intake(I should be honest, maybe a lot) over the past year and I believe these symptoms are a result.  This is so much more then just about weight.  It's about my life.  My body and spirit are so intertwined,   more then I understand. 

After reading this article I really want to take control.  And not for my weight, for my health and my spirit.  But where to start?  This is dangerous territory.  How do I start this process without my body(and mind) believing that I'm starting a diet?  I wont every be starting a diet, EVER AGAIN.  I know that there are some permanent lifestyle changes that need to take place.  Removing unneeded sugar is a good place. 

Several, several months ago I vowed not to purchase any treats for myself when I go to the store.  This will be a goal of mine for the month of February.  I also don't want to have sweet in my house during the week.  I need to start training myself to reach for fruits for a sweet fix.  Finding fruits that are in season is going to be a fun adventure.  I've always wanted to make amazing desserts for Sunday night.  Bringing my daughters into the kitchen with me to help me.  That makes 3 goals, right? 

1. No more buying treats in the store.
2. No more sweets in the house during the week
3. Make an amazing dessert for Sunday Dinner.
4. Reach for fruits that are in season. 

That makes 4 goals.  I've written them down.  I will keep you up to date on my progress. 

How does sugar affect you?

What do you do to overcome sugar urges?

1 comment:

Liz said...

Sugar makes me CRAZY. I lose my temper more easily and am more impatient than normal when I am jacked up on sugar. I'm not perfect when not eating a ton of sugar but I notice a HUGE difference. This website radiantrecovery.com has some interesting ideas about sugar and a small step-by-small-step plan to go off it. They get kinda mystical and new-agey at times- I can't get into that stuff. But definitely some good information to think about.