Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Enough with the Vegetables

I had a very interesting conversation with my daughter Hannah the other day. She was telling me how I shouldn't be trying to lose weight anymore. I am perfect for me. I thought that was a very sweet compliment she gave me. But then we got to the root of why she doesn't want me to try to lose weight; it's because of all the new vegetables I'm making her eat. I just had to smile to myself.

I explained to her how important vegetables are to our bodies. I told her how my own mother didn't enjoy eating vegetables and didn't serve too many of them. I continued to tell her that when she gets older I hope she will be grateful that I did introduce all these "crazy new" veggies. Hannah finished up the conversation by telling me that when she moves out she's not going to eat any more vegetables. She can do what ever she wants when she moves out, and some day she'll find the light and start eating them again. I hope.

Yesterday morning I decided to push Beckham and Grace in the stroller and Jaren and Hannah came along on a bike and scooter. I decided that I needed to start running again, since I had taken a break. Towards the end of the route I was pushing myself to a specific target. Hannah was waiting for me and told me, " you don't have to run you know." I told her that I knew that but I wanted to. She just couldn't understand why I was running when I didn't have to.

Hannah doesn't understand a lot of things in her young, youthful body. But I hope that someday I can be an example to her. No I am not in perfect shape, nor do I eat perfectly. But I am striving to do and be better. And I hope that's what she learns, just to do and be your best.

No comments: