Saturday, August 29, 2009

It's an Addict's World

The other day I was reading a book by Merilee Boyack titled "Strangling your husband is not an option." In this book she asks how many times do I buy my children treats. Lots actually. Then she asks, when was the last time you bought your husband a treat? Geez, I don't know. So with that in the back of my mind I bought two packages of Double Stuffed Oreos. They were on sale for a killer deal and they are my Husbands favorite. Well, guess who ended up eating most of them? Ya, that's right, me. Then the thought popped into my head:

A recovering alcoholic doesn't leave a six pack of beer in the fridge staring them in the face tempting them, a recovering pot-head doesn't leave a joint in the pantry, and recovering smoker doesn't leave a pack of cigs in the cupboard just waiting to see if they are strong enough to say "NO". NO, they don't. They don't leave any of those dangers in their house. Because they know they aren't strong enough to resist the temptation.

I know I am a food addict. So why do I leave junk food around the house thinking that I'm going to be strong enough to say "No" when I very well know I can't. It's more then just will power. When I do this I am just setting myself up for failure.

So the solution to my problem is to get everyone on board, including my husband, and not have any of that tempting stuff in the house. It goes right along with what I've been wanting to do all along. Teach my family good, healthy life long habits. And having sweets and treats on just one day, is good practice. I will allow myself one day. That way I'm completely taking away just being smart and disciplined about it.

The hard part for me is talking to my husband about this approach. He's never had to deal with his weight, EVER!!! He's always been thin and has always been able to eat whatever the heck he wants. So not fair. But he also doesn't have the same emotional attachment to food as I do. I'm just so affraid that he wont be willing to do this for me. But that is my insecurities come out in me. I know he will, he's said he would in the past. I just need to "man"-up and have the hard talk. It's the hard talk that is preventing me from moving forward. I will never improve and grow if I don't do hard things. Losing weight is a hard thing.

3 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

I hear ya'! I've let myself be sucked into old habits lately. It's a constant battle. Will it ever be easier?

Liz said...

I completely relate to the husband issue. Do you think he would be willing to only eat them out of the house?

Randi said...

I buy Dave treats all the time, but I make sure he takes them to work with him to munch on in his office. I'm not going to drive to Orem to sneak a few Little Debbie's, lol!! But lately, we've made it a rule that treats aren't allowed in our house anymore. We'll go out for one occasionally, but honestly, nobody in our household needs them kicking around. ;) It is an addict's world, for sure! And we're all addicted to something or another.