Thursday, October 6, 2011

Harder then I thought

Not eating any sugar is harder then I thought.  Or maybe I'm just afraid of missing out.  I love candy so much, it's ridiculous.  I bought junior mints yesterday and ate the whole box while watching trash t.v.   Instead of moving forward, I am slipping into some really poor poor habits.  I think it's the whole, "i'm never going to have that again" feeling when I try and attempt to improve my life.  But I am not going to deny myself anything so I need to come up with a better strategy.  That strategy is to prepare myself some really good and really healthy alternatives.  Like home made cliff bars which I'm going to learn how to make today. 

I still made good food yesterday.  For dinner I made butternut squash soup and it was divine and nothing to it.  I am going to use the same technique to make a beet soup. 

I"m conflicted.  I hate having personal conflict.  I want to improve my life but not at the risk of hating myself.  I've done that too much and too often.  I think I'm just being too hard on myself and looking still for perfection.  I keep needing to remind myself that this is about progress.  My desire is there.  And I am doing so much better then I was last week or the week before. 

Progress.  What am I going to do better today?  Focus more on organizing myself.  Organizing meals and snacks and just being prepared.  Stop being so hard on myself.  That is the opposite of nurture.  I want to nurture myself and work with my body and spirit to get to where I so badly want to be.  I'm eating those things because I am fighting with myself.  Do I truly believe that I deserve to treat myself with love, kindness, and respect?  More so today then a year ago.  I still need to work on that.  But I deserve every good thing for my body.  It is a beautiful gift that gives and gives all day long.  I keep telling myself that.  And it's the truth.  I want this gift to keep on giving.  I need to do what I need to do today to make that happen.  Balance, Organization and Moderation.  A few junior mints would have been okay, just not the whole box.

2 comments:

The Path Traveled said...

If I have a craving for a sweet, I don't deprive myself of it in moderation. Log it and move on. The point of the journey to eating healthier is choosing the right foods and balancing. It doesnt hurt to have that thin mint now and then...just not the whole box. You will do better as you go! Keep your chin up!

Liz said...

I remember what Rachel said once when we were at her house last winter about giving up chocolate cookies. She did it sooo gradually. First just eating one less cookie, not using the chocolate chips she really liked so they wouldn't be as good. Only making them every other week instead of every week. Then every 3rd, then 4th, so on. It's not a quick fix but progress little by little. That's how I remember her relating it but she might have said something different. Just a suggestion if you are looking for ideas.