Monday, October 3, 2011

Sacrifice

Here I am again, on a Monday ready to change my life.  Although the last year has been a journey to change my life in a completely different way.  I feel as though this is just a continuation of that journey.  Now that I am truly grateful for my body and the things that I can do, and experiences that I have, the  next step in the journey is going to just build upon that.  But this next step is going to be hard.  Sacrifices will have to be made.  If a sacrifice doesn't hurt, it's not a good one.  I heard that somewhere, sometime ago.  The sacrifice that I will have to make has to do with food, sugar mostly.  I love to eat my red vines, candy corn, and ice cream.  But in my quest to become a good runner, a faster hiker, these types of food zap all my energy, and keep me feeling heavy.  Feeling heavy is not going to help with my running and my hiking.  I also feel as though sugar has a lot to do with me feeling tired and slow. 

And so it goes, the sacrifice that I knew was inevitable, starts today.  I know it's going to be difficult.  The only thing that I wont give up, not yet at least, it my Coke Zero.  I just can't give that up just quite yet.  I know I will need to.  Slow and steady, not all at once. 

What am I going to do today to help be on my way to being light, fit and healthy?  I'm going to throw away all the ice cream cartons in my freezer, and all the left over candy that is in my pantry.  I'm doing this because I want to.  Not because I have to.  I want a better life.  I want to feel better.  Not only am I doing this for myself, but for my kids.  I want a legacy of good eating, and an active lifestyle passed down to my children.  I am going to have a relish tray ready for my kids to devour when they get home from school.  And that will in turn help me to snack on the good things too.  It's a win/win situation.

I'll let you know how things go.

No comments: