Tuesday, July 22, 2014

85%

As the weeks have gone on, my resolve to be a better person, leading a healthier life has strengthened.  My efforts haven't been 100%, but I'm not required to be perfect.  My efforts are a good 85% better.  I've stopped purchasing sodas twice a day, stopped purchasing treats when I enter the store, and stopped eating out so often.  Yes, all of these are bad habits.
As I step into the store, the urge to pick up a treat is extremely strong.  Then I remember that this particular habit is one of the main reasons why I am where I am today.  Its taken strength not of my own, to overcome these urges.  I know that we all struggle with different weaknesses.  I accept this as one of mine, and it is a difficult one to overcome.  I am grateful that I have recognized it so that I can improve.

Last week I visited with a good friend who has been successful in losing some weight.  She e-mailed me a photo of her eating plan.  It is detailed and there is no guess work on my part.  I do so much better when someone tells me exactly what I need to do.  I started following it yesterday.  I understand that nutrition will be the key to my success.  The eating program is simple to follow and not restrictive.  I roasted but several chicken breast to quickly pull out of the fridge.  I also roasted some sweet potatoes.    I am trying to not eat any bread or rice after lunch.  Instead I am replacing those carbs with other complex carbs.  I know its only been not even two days, but I feel successful.  Last night I went to a play up at Sundance.  I was there quite early and I brought my dinner with me.  I ate by myself and felt amazed at myself for being so disciplined.  I know its this type of behavior that is going to help me to lose weight.

Yesterday I also started an exercise challenge.  I HATE the name of it.  But I am determined to follow through with it.  Its free, found on YouTube.  Its called Bikini Mama 90 Day Challenge.  I will NEVER wear a bikini.  Not even if I shed a thousand pounds and a flat tummy.  Still, I am excited about the challenge.  I feel out of shape.  But so excited about the prospect for change.  The woman doing it does it in real time.  Along with my nutrition I feel as though this is the path that will lead me to great success.  The workouts are just 20 minutes long.  I will be doing other cardio on top of these workouts.  Like I mentioned, my resolve is strong.

I am also trying to drink a gallon of water a day.  This is helping me to kick my soda problem.  I haven't finished a full drink in over a week.  I know drinking water helps me in other ways.

With all these changes I am beginning to feel better about myself.  I am thrilled with the prospect that just a few weeks will do for me.  After 90 days, 3 months?  I get butterflies in my stomach.

No comments: