Monday, August 16, 2010

Addiction

Last week I was searching LDS.org for articles on addiction. It was surprising, and not so surprising that all the articles I read touched on all types of addictions except the one that I am struggling with, addiction to food. I really feel that in our LDS culture it's easier for us, as women to choose food as our drug of choice. But it is never addressed. I turn to food to fill certain voids, fill moments of boredom, and the biggest one of them all, for comfort.

Still, I find these articles useful and enlightening. Even though my particular addiction is not directly addressed, the behavior is the same and can be dealt with in the same manner.

In my browsing I came upon a very interesting article dealing with the issue of energy drinks, or caffeine. Caffeine is one of those things that I want to believe that I'm NOT addicted to. But in all reality, I am. If I have to hop in my 'burb and cruise to the nearest gas station to get my fix, every single day, then it's an addiction. I was grateful for this article. It's not in the Word of Wisdom specifically, but I've heard over and over again the dangers of caffeine. I think the main reason is due to it's addictive nature. Not only the addictiveness of it, but it causes other health problems. Which I think I've heard before but stored the information in the deepest darkest crevasses of my brain. Knowing someday I would have to face the truth.

Why all this blabbing on about caffeine and addiction? Cause as of today I am OFF the wagon for the umteenth time. This time it's for serious. As I reflect on the times that I have quit drinking Diet Coke my weight goes down. As soon as I pick up the habit, the scale begins to rise. Not cool. Is there a correlation? Probably so.

One of the big reasons I always turn back to Diet Coke is for the simple fact that I don't feel any difference. I don't feel better or worse. I just lose weight. So I figure why give up something that I love if it's not going to make that big of a difference. This time around I'm going to be pray to see a difference. I need to be more aware of the changes that are happening and recognize how much better I feel.

I am a human being living a very mortal life subject to all sorts of appetites. I can't conquer this on my own so I'm turning to My Heavenly Father and Savior for help. That's what they are there for. My Savior is there to fill in my imperfections and that includes addictions!

2 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

You can do it! I'm 12 years sober. Now if I can just face the sugar habit...

Anna said...

Hi! Stumbled across your blog. Hope you don't mind my comment.

Wow! I agree, food can be a major addiction but many LDS people ignore the 'food' part of the word of wisdom. We worry more about the 'don't' than the 'do' parts. I have been thinking about this myself lately.