Thursday, August 19, 2010

Words of Encouragement

I've been thinking a lot the last few days on how to change my beliefs about me. How does one really begin to do that? One of the classes I went to was given by Barbara Barrington Jones. She was teaching on Words of Encouragement. How Encouragement lifts and builds you up. Opposed to critism, even "constructive" critism which tears you down. She suggesteds that Encouraging Words are like a gift, a small silver box wrapped up with a bow. You can give these gifts to all those around you, your husband, your children. Then I thought, what about giving Encouraging Words to ME. Wouldn't that be a way to build myself up and begin to change my beliefs about me?

I remember a class given my Sis. Wilson and she talked a lot about this subject. We are living in a body of flesh and bones subject to the natural woman. The natarual woman is prone to atomatically thinking bad thoughts about herself. It's like weeds. We have to work so hard to keep weeds out of our garden. They have to be pulled everyday to keep the garden clean and looking beautiful. Do I pull my weeds in my garden every day? No! And my garden suffers from it too! The beautiful plants that I've planted from seed and nourished are easily getting crowded out by the weeds that grow spontaniously. So it is with our thoughts. We have to work every day to weed out those bad thoughts so the beautiful ones can take route, so we can water them and make them grow.

My goal now is to plant beautiful seeds of encouragement. Ones that I can nourish, water and grow. I need to remember to dis-regard all the negative that comes into my head. Which is SO HARD . If I am to become truly happy with myself, I have to start chaning what I believe about. I have to start telling myself truths and begin to believe them.

How am I going to do this? A list of all the things I want to believe and become. Every morning, afternoon and evening I am going to go through my list. Some of them might already be true I just don't believe them yet.

I also might start repeating my list as a mantra during meditation. I've heard meditation can be powerful too. Right now, I'm willing to try anything out!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

“Do not expect to be free entirely from trouble and disappointment and pain and discouragement, for these are the things that we were sent to earth to endure.

“The scriptures promise, God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it’ ” - Boyd K Packer

I just read this on a facebook post and thought that I would share it with you. Have fun at Education week.