Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Craving a Healthy Life

My sister invited me to be a contributor to this blog and I'm happy for the opportunity. I'm not struggling with weight issues at the moment and for the first time in my life I can eat whatever I want and continue to lose weight...thanks to the amazing miracle of my nursing body. During my pregnancy I gained 80 pounds due to a nasty case of preeclampsia, 40 of which were gained in the last month of my 35 week pregnancy. I felt wretched and was so swollen that I could barely move. Walking up and down steps required me to take one step at a time because my ankles and knees (basically the essential joints for movement) were so swollen that they had lost most of their function. My body felt ugly and other than the cheerful and delightful movement of two healthy babies--my body was an ill fitting and uncomfortable stranger.

Two weeks after delivering my beautiful boys I lost 70 pounds. I was astonished and amazed but soo grateful. Eight months after delivery I have lost nearly 100 pounds. I am much thinner than before getting pregnant but my body is flabbier and much less toned. I have taken for granted how hard my body works to create food to sustain two healthy lives that I eat with abandon and exercise, well, NEVER. I need to establish a healthier eating pattern NOW before I stop nursing and most likely suffer the revenge of a normal person's metabolism.

I need to join my sister in her effort to make wiser diet decisions and ultimately lead a healthier, more moderate life. I don't want to entirely give up sweets or carbs but I need to truly exercise the principle of moderation: if I eat one indulgent meal, scale back the others or walk an extra 15 minutes. My children deserve an active mother who can keep up with them and share in their physical explorations of the world.

As much I love eating junky junk food every day...I crave a healthier diet and the motivation to have one. So, Amberlyn, I pledge my commitment to you and to a healthier diet. After I finish today's batch of peanut m&ms, I commit to taking the huge and necessary step of not buying candy. No more wasted money on bags of candy at Target.

1 comment:

Amberlyn said...

YEAH!!! I'm so glad you agreed to do this. It is going to be so nice to bounce our healthy life style changes off of each other and to be a support system. And not just for weight loss, but for motherhood and our spirits.

I will never know what it's like to eat with reckless abandon. If I did that I would be over 400 lbs, for sure.

You are very smart to want to get your eating habits under control before you stop nursing. You already know that. Still, it's a smart move.


I think it all boils down to moderation in all things. I haven't been able to fully give up on chocolate. So I just have a small bite of some chocolate after lunch and dinner. I am still losing weight.

It's important to keep those things in our lives that we feel brings us joy. Just don't go over board.

Next time you go to Target, instead of buying the family size bag of peanut butter m&m's just get a regular size. Moderation.