Monday, May 19, 2008

A-HA, You Silly

So, I had a little a-ha moment in Relief Society on Sunday.

We were discussing prayer and personal revelation and I got to thinking about how I receive personal revelation.

Well, as I have struggled with this and really gone through a difficult trial of my faith, I came away with the answer that most often, I receive answers to my prayers when I read my scriptures and other church materials.

So, the silly part was that I had forgotten this!

HELLO.

How do you have a prolonged trial of your faith, come out the other side much, much better, and then forget the results?

It wasn't that I had really forgotten it, but I certainly hadn't been thinking about it very much, and the a-ha moment really came when I realized that I wasn't going to get answers to my prayers unless I was doing the things that help me to get answers.

I told you it was a silly a-ha.

But this is the thing. However it is that you get revelation, and granted there are a ton of ways...and I do get revelation in other ways, but my main way is through reading...well, if you want to maximize your chances for this revelation, and your opportunities to feel the spirit and the Lord directing your life, then you have to do whatever thing it is that helps you stay close to the Lord.

Again, so silly. But, at the same time, it provided me with huge motivation to get off my butt and get going. And so what did I do, I opened the Ensign and started reading. And what did I find? The very first talk (after the solemn assembly) was by Russell M. Nelson.

And why is this significant? Because my patriarchal blessing tells me that I should pay particular attention to whatever Elder Nelson says (BTW, I know this is weird, and I am the only person I know to get this specific of counsel, but apparently I need it.)

Anyways, so I know the Lord is thinking of me. And probably glad that I finally did something.

So, do something...and let me know how it goes!

2 comments:

Amberlyn said...

I have had many Silly A-Ha moments. And each time it makes me so grateful that the Lord is truly mindful of us. He is so gentle and loving in his ways.

I thought you had been reading the Ensign weeks ago!

I am on the talk by Gerald N Lund and he talks about Opening our Hearts. By doing this we are allowing for more personal revelation, and feeling the Love of the Lord in our lives.

Amberlyn said...

I wasn't done.

Keep going Denise.

You are wanting to be better and therefore you were able to heed the promptings.

I have to totally agree with you. I receive a lot of personal revelation by reading the scriptures. Reading the scriptures and Ensign really help to soften the heart and make us more sensitive to His spirit.

Keep reading!!!