Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day Three: Feeling the hunger

I have to first report on another small victory that I had last night.  Moms were invited to attend mutual with the beehives. The title of the evening was Moms and Muffins.  I knew this even before starting my smoothy fast.  I told my friend that this night would be my first challenge to stay clean.  Not only did they have muffins at the end of the activity, but one of the activities was to open a bag of skittle, pick our a color, ask and answer the question that coordinated with the color and then eat the skittle.  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What is a girl trying to permanently change her life going to do?  Well, I picked out a color and gave it to my daughter to eat.  Hannah knows the journey that I am on right now and she was completely supportive.  She finally got sick of eating all the skittles and started putting them in her pocket.  The most important part of the game was to get to know your daughter better, and for the daughters to get to know the moms better.  Not eating the candy.  When they pulled out the muffins I just stayed in my seat and continued the conversation that I was having with another Mom.  As I thought about that experience last night I realized that the night wasn't about the muffins(of course), the night was about me spending time with my daughter.  The food didn't enhance or take away from that experience.  What was most important was that the focus was on Hannah.  I also realized, again, that I have complete control over my life & sugar, mainly candy.  This stuff doesn't have to control my actions or my behavior. 

On this 3rd and glorious day into my journey, I am feeling HUNGRY!!!!  And when I get hungry I get irritable and mean.  I am quick to snap at my kids for absolutely nothing, like trying to talk to me.  Heaven forbid they have a conversation with me.  So I had to do something about it.  So I ate a slice of my home made whole wheat bread with peanut butter and jam on it. I don't regret doing it either.  My brain and body needed SOMETHING.  So instead of ripping my kids heads off, I chose to eat something other then a smoothy.  I hope you don't judge me to harshly.  I haven't stopped the smoothies at all.  In fact here's what went into my smoothy this morning:

Frozen Banana, english cucumber, grapefruit, pineapple, 
and red cabbage.


It all looks so beautiful, right?



This is what it looked like all blended up.
Bright and Purple.  
I could really taste the cucumber, it was very refreshing.
I can't wait for my pears to ripen a little more so I can do one with cucumber, pears, kale, pineapple, lime and a frozen banana.  Frozen bananas are my saving grace.  Those suckers make any smoothy creamy without dairy.  They're awesome!!  

My sister asked me if I'd lost any weight yet.  I told her I don't step on the scale.  And, it's only been 2.5 days.  How much weight can I count on losing?  But I know that what I am doing is awesome and is helping my body to heal and reset itself from the inside.  

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You are doing it! I am so happy for you. I think we all support you in eating that one piece of bread especially because it meant that all of your children kept their heads. ;)