Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl Success

Saturday was my first day back to eating regular food.  I have to admit that I would rather drink smoothies all day long then try and figure out what to eat.  I want so badly to make the right choices that I'm afraid of making a mistake.  I still drank a smoothy for breakfast, which was great.  For lunch I had a quick sandwich and some sugar snap peas.  And for dinner, I made the most amazing Thai Chicken Pizza!!  It really was amazing.  I need to post the recipe because it was that good.  I think a big part to being successful is making sure you plan appropriately.  I didn't have anything planned for lunch.  But all day I had been waiting to make that pizza.

Then there was Sunday.  The super bowl.  I knew this was going to be another huge hurdle for myself.  Since I had already made the decision to not eat anything white or highly processed, my meal was not a struggle.  I had fasted all day long too, so I thought my hunger was going to get the best of me.  But it didn't.  I had two doritos,  and passed on all the other chips. Even the tortilla chips.  Instead, I made for myself some whole wheat pita chips.  I also made a healthier version of 7 layer bean dip, and a quinoa salad that was out of this world delicious.  I will share all those recipes with you too.  My plate was filled with good, healthy, whole grain foods.  I think I had 6 licorice nibs.  There were several there that were celebrating birthdays, including me, and a friend made a huge chocolate sheet cake.  Normally I would be drooling over that and I would be thinking about it all night long.  I didn't even have a slice, even after it was cut up.  I think I tried a 1/4 just to try it.  It was good.  But I didn't have to go back for more.  I did make these lime coconut bars that were to die for, and not healthy by any stretch of the imagination.  But I had just one square, and I savored every bite.

All these good days have to start adding up.  It has become easier since I've made the choice now not to eat white processed food.  It's easier now that I have made the choice not to eat candy or drink soda.  And I can feel the difference.  It's been what? 6 weeks now that I haven't had any soda and 3 weeks that I haven't had any candy.  That is truly a small miracle in my life.  What a blessing.

No comments: