Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day Two: Asking for help daily

Today I have enjoyed each smoothly that has passed my lips.  Each has been bright, beautiful and energizing.  The only thing I am suffering from now, is  light headedness.  My body is so use to getting sugar every day, and often that it's probably going through some trauma. It's trying to tell me to just put a little bit in your mouth, it's no big deal.  But it is. I had another triumph at the store today.  I didn't go down the seasonal isle, avoiding, once again, the valentine candy.  I didn't even glance over at the bulk candy, which in the past has also been favorite territory.  As I make these small confessions, I realize that I really do have an addiction to sugar, candy mostly.  It's nice to be on the path to being in control of sugar, not sugar in control of me.

Probably the one thing that surprises me the most, is that I'm not hungry.  I thought I would be starving before each smoothy.  But I'm not.  Kinda crazy.  It's also a good feeling.

I read a wonderful article in the Ensign over the weekend.  The article talked about asking for help on a daily basis, not a weekly, monthly or yearly.  

"This is a way for us to focus on the smaller, more manageable bits of a problem.  To deal with something big, we may need to work at it in small, daily bites.  Sometimes all we can handle is one day - or even just part of one day - at a time. "    It further states " Incorporating new and wholesome habits into our character or over-coming bad habits or addictions often means an effort today followed by another tomorrow and then another, perhaps for many days, even months and years, until we achieve victory.  But we can do it because we can appeal to God for our daily bread, for the help we need each day."

I thought that statement was so appropriate for what I am going through right now.  I am trying to kick several bad habits and addictions.  I have to tackle each day, each trip to the store and sometimes each moment and ask for the strength that I need to say no, to just keep walking, or to clear my mind.   I learned in church this past Sunday that it takes about 2 years to recover from an addiction.  That is certainly a long time.  But it gives me hope that I can change my brain, my cravings and most importantly, my behavior.  I can allow myself time to heal and change into a new person.  What a blessing and a relief. 

I am grateful that I've learned so much about prayer over the past few years.  I am grateful to allow myself to be guided by the spirit to ask the right questions.  For so long I was asking the wrong questions and getting angry for not getting an answer.  Instead of asking to lose weight, I now ask for the help I need to love vegetables.  I ask for help to continue to understand the importance of our bodies and how to treat them.  I ask to understand more the Word of Wisdom.  Even though answers aren't flooding into my brain, answers are coming.  And they come when I need them the most.  I understand that I have to seek out the answers as well.  Study and ponder.  It's a beautiful journey, and I'm grateful to be on it.

1 comment:

The Path Traveled said...

Way to go! We should all follow that as our prayer study. I am always in aawhh of what God answers in my prayers and I hope that he doesn't think me to be all about me and not pray for others.
Keep doing what your doing!