Sunday, July 5, 2009

Freedom 5k




I did it. I ran in the Freedom 5k in Provo. It didn't turn out the way I had hoped, but just running it was a huge accomplishment for me.
The previous day I had gotten up at 5:30am to go to the Balloon Launch which is part of the festivities in Provo. Directly after teh balloons I took the kids on a hike up to Bridal Veil Falls. After that we went to Thanksgiving Point with my parents. In the evening we took the kids, courtesy of Brent's Boss, to a REAL Salt Lake Soccer game. We didn't get home and in bed until midnight. Not good for someone who is running a race the next day. I still kept my spirits up because I knew that Brent and the kids were going to be there cheering for me at the finsih line. Soon after going to bed Grace started fussing and she ended up vomiting several times in the night and spent the rest of the night in bed with Brent and myself. Sigh. Another strike against me.
When my alarm went off I wanted to roll over and go back to bed. But I knew that I had set a goal and I was committed to reaching this goal. I got up, got dressed and was gathering all the kids clothes when Brent suggested he stay home. I knew this was the wise choice but what spirit I had was quickly dashed. Not only that, due to my lack of sleep I didn't feel well at all.
I jumped in the suburban and drove to Provo by myself. Parked by myself. Walked to the start line by myself. Waited for the race to start by myself. Ran/walked the race by myself and finished the loneliest person there at the race.
The only ray of light during the whole morning was Emily Gunderson. She must have spotted me and came over to say hello and to wish me luck. She will never know how much that meant to me that morning. So Emily, if you are reading this, thanks. That smile and hello meant the world to me!!!
I regret walk/jogging this race. I finsihed with a time of 33:10. Which is probably the exact same time as the Springville race. So many circumstances were working against me. But I am grateful that I fought and battled to the end. I might not have started or finsihed this race the way I had hoped. But I ran it. And that's what counts.
I had Brent take these photos of me after I returned home. I had to have some kind of documentation.

1 comment:

Sal-my-gal said...

I am so excited you ran the race! It may not have been under perfect circumstances, but be proud of your accomplishment. You met your goal! And you finished in good time too.

Your count down to race time reminds me of every time I try to go to the temple. I'm always up all night, someone gets sick, the car breaks down... always Satan gets in our way of doing good things. This race was no different in my opinion. Be proud you didn't take the easy way out. Be proud that you said, "get behind me! I've got a race to run!" I'm proud of you! Congratulations! I look forward to my first race. Maybe I'll see you there : )