Monday, July 27, 2009

That's one Speedy Spaniard

You can barely see me, coming up to the finish line.
The woman in front, is my Mom.


There I am crossing the finish line, and you can see my time.


When I started running(more like jogging)I did it to do more then then just walking. I needed to get my heart rate up. First it began with me running for one block, then walking a block. I would go for 30 minutes doing this same pattern. I had run a 5k before, several years ago and I enjoyed it. So came the goal at the beginning of the summer to run 5 5Ks in 5 months. When I would talk about running I always said I would NEVER run a 10K. It just seemed daunting and overwhelming. I barely made it across the finish line after just 3 measly miles. There is no way in this wide world you were going to get me to run a 10K. Then the seed was planted in my head by more then just one person. Amy, Melissa, Jessica, and Brent were all instrumental in telling me I could climb this personal mountain of mine. So I signed up. I didn't train as much as I should have. My eating was poor. And my attitude and self-confidence lacked. But in the end, I realized that I am stronger then I ever thought possible. I had two goals going into this first 10k of mine. One, to run the first 3 miles without stopping. Second, to finish in an Hour and 15minutes. I accomplished both goals. I ran the first 3 miles in 30 minutes, which was 3 minutes faster then my last 5k. And I finished the race in 69 minutes. I struggled after the first 3 miles to keep running. I had to walk a bit to rest my body. But the feeling of having others pass me was too much, so I'd begin to run again. The last mile was killer for me. My whole body was telling me to stop. To plop myself down in one of the empty chairs lining the parade route. But I knew this is where my mind became stronger then my body. I told myself it's just one more mile. I can do it, and I did. I even sprinted the last little bit across the finish line. There were two people who were instrumental in my success that day. Ed Huhtala, ran with me for the first 3 miles. I know that I was holding him back. But he was such a sweetheart to stay with me. I told him to go ahead after the first 3 miles. He asked me if I was sure, of course I was. So he went right on ahead. He told me, maybe you could stay up with your Mom. She is the other person who made my race such a success. My almost 60 year young mother was running this race at a slightly faster pace then me, and she was injured. I never let her out of my sight, and I caught up to her steady pace several times. She is mentally stronger then me, not once did she stop to walk. I couldn't let my own mother beat me, which was a driving force to keep me going. She crossed the finish line before me, by just a few seconds. My Mom is an inspiration to me. I am grateful to both Ed and Mom for volunteering to run in this race with me. It's such an overwhelming and emotional experience when you realize that you truly are stronger then you ever thought possible. I ran a 10k. I'm not in perfect condition. I'm still considered overweight, and yet I did it. What made it even more rewarding was to have my family and friends there cheering me on at the finish line. To share with me a glorious moment in time.

As I've thought more about this accomplishment of mine, I am even more resolved to move forward with my weight loss. There for a while I thought that I was never going to be able to get below a certain number. That it just wasn't meant for me. That I was destined to stay at this blessed, bloody weight for the rest of my life. But that isn't true. If I am strong enough to run a 10k and tell my mind and body that I can finish that race, then I can finish my fight to be fit.

I can't forget to mention Leslie Christensen. She was there at mile 3 and ran with me for a little bit and told me what a good job I was doing. That was such a wonderful and uplifting surprise. So Leslie, if you happen to read this, thanks, you too are a great friend.

Thanks to Brent for supporting me in my running goals. For being there at the finish line with all our kids surrounding him, and encircling me in their love.

Thanks to Kelli for also being there to document my run. It was so fun to see you at one of the last turns shooting pictures and cheering me on. And then again at the finish line. You are such a great sister-in-law, one of the very best.

Thanks to Amy for always encouraging me and telling me that I am worth every bit of success that I have.

Thanks to Melissa for knowing that this accomplishment was always inside of me, just waiting to blossom.

Thanks to my sister Jessica. Even though you are clear across the country, hearing your voice and words of encouragement were always just what I needed. I wish you could have been here in person to run in the race. You would have kicked my butt!!!

Thanks to Mom. You are amazing. You are an inspiration to me. I love You.

3 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

I'm so excited for you! Congratulations!

Isn't it funny how we are at a point in our lives where we're trying to keep up with our mothers instead of the other way around?

Jessica said...

Oh Amberlyn, what a beautiful post. I'm so glad you ran the 10k and met your goals and realized how strong you are--in so many marvelous ways. I am touched that so many people love you and support you and want to see you succeed in reaching your physical and weight loss goals. I too wish I could have been at the race with you. I love you so much.

Aly Beth said...

I love how open you are, so inspiring!

~Aly