Friday, January 11, 2013

More Spiritual Inspiration and Popped Amaranth

Yesterday I had an amazing experience while reading my scriptures. I was going to keep it to myself but decided that I needed to share it.

While studying I was impressed to look up the word Health in the Bible Dictionary.  I was astonished at what I read. It read: In Old English this word denoted healing power, deliverance, salvation.   Just the other night I mentioned to a good friend, Rachel, how amazing it would be if I could heal myself with nutrition.  Is it possible for good health to deliver us from danger?  Danger of addictions, toxins, depression, or even hormonal imbalances?    Can good health deliver us from physical ailments as well?  And can good health give us added strength to do more physically demanding responsibilities?  And if that is possible, what does that kind of nutrition look like?  Nutrution that has healing power?

I made myself a list:
No refined sugars
Whole grains
Vegetables
Salads, dark leafy greens
Fresh fruits
What about protein?

I have a new goal for this year.  To discover what nutrition has healing powers.  I'm pretty sure my list above is pretty spot on.  Now my other goal is to start eating that way.


Not only does good health deliver us from danger, but it keeps us safe.  I understand that exercise is important to good health as well.  But the impression that I keep getting is that nutrition is far more superior in helping us gain optimum health.

So what is keeping me from doing this?  Nothing really except a tiny word, FEAR.  Fear of leaving my comfort zone and doing things that I am not familiar with.  But that comfort zone has gotten me no where.  It's just kept me fat and sassy, and yes sick.  So what am I really afraid of?  Not being sick?  Good health?  What is scary about that?  Oh ya right, the process of getting there.  This is where I need to replace my fear with faith.  Faith in knowing that the impressions I received yesterday were from a loving Heavenly Father who answered a prayer. 

So today I jumped right in.  Last year I discoverd a tiny little seed called Amaranth.  For it to be consumed it has to be popped.  You'll need a tall pot.  I still get popped amaranth everywhere even with mine, but that's what makes it so fun!  Place the the pot on the stove on medium high heat, but not super hot cuz you'll end up scortching the seeds.  I add just a tablespoon at a time.  You don't add anything to the pot except the seeds themselves.  In a few seconds the seeds start to pop.  You want to constantly be moving the pot around to ensure optimum popping.  The seeds pop just like popcorn.  In fact my kids just eat the seeds like popcorn.

I've added popped amaranth to muffins, breads, even rice crispy treats. 


This is the size of pot I used.



Amaranth


This is what Amaranth looks like unpopped.


Popped Amaranth


This is what it looks like Popped.

With my popped amaranth I made a quick bread.  Zucchini, Carrot and Amaranth, I'll call it. 
 preheat oven to 300.  And yes, this recipe is my own, I just pulled it out of my cooking sorceress head this morning.

Cream together
1/4 cup butter, it needs to be at room temperature
1/4  cup coconut oil
1/2 cup apple butter, again at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar

 Then add
2eggs
1 zuchinni grated
1 yellow squash grated
1 carrot grated
1/3 cup ground flax seed
1 cup popped amaranth
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup butterscotch chips 

Grease and flour 2 bread pans and divide the dough evening between the two.    Just for fun, and added crunch, I sprinkled Kashi Go-lean Crunch on top.  I baked both loaves for about 45 minutes.    I would let the loaves of bread cool completely.  I tried cutting into as it came out of the oven and it was so moist it just fell apart.  So be patient, and wait till it cools.  




No comments: