Monday, January 7, 2013

Pushing and Pulling

Today was the first day of the rest of my life. How'd it go? I would give my first day a B. I still had some soda. I know that one will be the hardest for me to overcome. I had a bit of a crazy morning, hours on the phone trying to work out some kinks in my vacay plans.  I had to leave the house in a rush and by 10:30 I still hadn't gotten breakfast.  I grabbed a protein bar.  In my mind, it sounded like the best choice.   I had a veggie packed sandwich from Hickory Kist for lunch, and it was good.  Then I didn't eat anything until dinner.  Below is a photo of what I had. 

I made butternut squash ravioli with spinach pesto!  YUM YUM YUM!! 
It really tasted better then it photographed.  Then again, I'm not a profess. photographer.   I got the recipe from cooking light.  I roasted a butternut squash in the oven on 400 for about 45 minutes.  I took one of the halves, scooped it into a bowl, smashed it and added 2 tablespoons of butter, parm cheese, salt, pepper and dried oregano.  My daughters filled square wonton wrappers with the filling.   I made the pesto with fresh garlic, spinach, pistachios, parm cheese, canola oil and a bit of lemon juice.  My girls LOVED it.  My oldest truly did, my second pretended to liked it for my sake, and the third one ate it all but it wasn't her favorite.  My oldest son, like my husband, fought it.  As I looked at my husband as he took his first bite, his nostrils flared and I could tell it was hard for him.  Our palettes differ so much.  I am grateful that he is willing to try anything I place in front of him.  I probably would have made the pesto with just on garlic clove instead of two like the recipe called for. 
As we were picking up dinner my husband made a comment about some funky veggie in the fridge that was long and purple.  I said "Dude, that's an eggplant and I'm going to make egg plant parmesan with it."  He made a comment about how come we couldn't just have regular chicken parmesan.  My son jumped on board and I threw my hands up and left the kitchen and retreated to my bedroom. 
One of my goals along this journey was to pull my family along with my desire to lead a healthy life.  I feel as though I am a pretty good cook.  My friend Rachel says that I am a Sorceress in the Kitchen.  I don't claim to be good at too many things, but cooking is something I admit to love doing and I'm pretty good at it.  I know that the food I make is good.  Yes, it can be bright green and look different. 

Some of my family are pushing against my desire to live a healthier life.  I feel they see the wisdom in it.  But they like chicken, they like beef, and heavy sauces.  I think once they feel the difference in their own bodies,they will allow me to pull them without much resistance.  I don't want my children to struggle as I have. 

Last night on Dateline there was a short segment which featured Dr. Oz.  I am so grateful for the things that he said.  First he said that Exercise does not need to exceed 60 minutes a day.  In fact he said just 30 minutes of rigorous exercise a day is sufficient.  He also said that half of our plates should be filled with vegetables.  Like I've been trying to convince myself.  A salad with a side of vegetables, with a side of vegetables.   The other things Dr. Oz said were good goals to begin the year off with was protein in the morning for breakfast, and dietary supplements.  What he said just confirmed to me, once again, that what I'm trying to do this year is reasonable and doable. 

Even though today was not a perfect day.  I didn't have any candy, I made time to exercise, and I am in the processing of reading an excellent talk about setting goals and priorities.  I made a good healthy dinner for my family that included a big salad.  I drank water, and I tried to be happy and uplifting to my family.  It was hard this evening with my husband.  But I know he supports me and my desire to change.  I will continue to introduce good healthy alternatives for dinner. 

I took the first step up my Mountain.  Right now the trail is only just beginning and the steps are easy and without much struggle.  I pray to have a few more days, more like weeks of easy and good decision making.  I need a good beginning. 

No comments: