Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sprouted Spelt and Kumut Salad

I wish I could say that I had a perfect day. Even though it wasn't perfect, it was a good day. On Sunday I began soaking some grains so I could sprout them.  Last year I fell in love with sprouting grains and legumes.  Sprouting turns a grain into a growing thing, full of energy.  One of my most favorite salads that I discovered was this one:


Sprouted Kumut, Spelt and Apple Salad

Isn't it pretty?

I truly am trying to fix food that is beautiful to look at, plus has healing properties.  Although I don't completely understand the science or nutrition behind sprouting.  I know it's good for you.  Plus, this salad is delicious.  Would you like the recipe?  

2 cups sprouted Spelt, Kumut
1 apple diced
Juice of half a lemon, this help to keep the apples from turning brown
1/4 cup craisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp truvia

How do you sprout?  Oh my word, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.  I took 1/4 cup of both grains, put them in a mason jar, filled it up with water and let it soak over night.  I drained and rinsed the grains and added them back to the jar.  Every 4 hours, I rinsed and drained the grains until I saw them begin to sprout.  Once I saw the sprouts, I placed them in a plastic storage container and put them in my fridge.  

Other grains that I love to sprout are mung beans and lentils.  My son Beckham actually adores sprouted lentil and will eat them like popcorn.  I make a killer salad out of sprouted lentils with roasted root vegetables and a balsamic vinaigrette. 

I had this for lunch along with a simple salad with balsamic vinaigrette and a hamburger patty between whole wheat bread.  I was craving a sandwich, and I didn't want to go out and buy anything.  This was the best I could do.  I wish I would have not eaten the bread.  It seemed oximoronish to be eating such a heavy thing with such a beautiful salad.   But both things hit the spot.  I am still learning how to make these changes work.  At least I'm doing something instead of just thinking about how my life could be.  

This morning I jogged on the treadmill for 30 minutes.  I am as slow as snails, but I love this quote:

The 18 Most Inspiring Fitness Mantras

I am slow.  It's hard to run when I'm heavy and not as fit as I use to be.  As I was leaving, I decided  that running/jogging is something that I want to do right now.  Not a work out dvd.  I believe strongly that we should do things that we love.  It makes life so much more enjoyable and desirable to live.  Even though the treadmill is not my favorite way to run, at least I'm doing it.  And I met a majority of my commitments today.  I worked out, I fixed healing food and I didn't have any soda.  I didn't wake up and do early morning scripture study.  I was relying on my husband's alarm to go off like it usually does at 6am, but it didn't.  I've learned my lesson.  I have to rely on my own alarm to get me up in the morning. 

I have to continually remind myself that it's about the process.  I am not on a diet.  I am on a quest to change my life for good.  That type of change happens gradually.  I find that I am not wanting to make the same choices that I was making just 4 months ago. Telling myself that it's perfectly fine to indulge in this or that.  You only live once, so why not.  Hmm, and where has that attitude gotten me? Oh ya, fat.  So instead of making the wrong choice, I just go without.  I'm not hungry, I'm not snacking, I'm not craving too much either.  

I punched fear in the face today.  And it felt awesome.  It felt great to make the time to exercise. I could have so easily said no, I don't have time for you.  Hello, that was fear speaking.  So I punched that idea out of my head and told myself you do have time for it. 

 It felt great to go without.  It felt awesome to eat a salad that was so alive and healthy. 

 I hope to  am going to build upon each day, putting one foot in front of the other.  I love it.  It's so exciting.  I am becoming that woman I can see ahead of me.  The person I want so terribly to be. 

No comments: