Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Healing Food or is that Gassy Food?

One of my goals this year is to eat more foods that are healing. This week I really wanted to sprout some legumes and more spelt and kumut. I prefer the legumes over the grains for some reason. They taste better to me and have a better texture. Plus, the legumes are the ones that give you added protein without having to eat a cow or a chicken.  They are fewer in calories too.  Which is great.  So for lunch I made this beautiful salad:


Sprouted Mung Beans and Lentils 
with Roasted Beet and Cara Cara Oranges

This salad also had no other dressing expect the juice I sqeezed from the orange I segmented.  It was an awesome salad.  It probably would have been better if I ate it over some salad greens.  But I'm still not feeling the salad greens.  I know I should be eating a huge salad every single day, I just can't do it.  Now, I'm pretty darn sure this is the salad that gave me some tremendous gas.  That's the only thing I can think of that I ate all day that could make me so musical.  Luckily for me and for my family, the farts were fragrant free.  Even though it gave me gas, I'm going to continue to experiment with more of these types of salads.  It really was delicious, you should give it a try.

Later in the day I wanted to come up with a healthy, refined sugar free cookie for my kids.  Okay Okay Okay, so they still have some chocolate in them, but it was 60% cocoa chocolate.  I found this recipe from pinterest.  I modified it to what I had on hand.  While Grace was at preschool I ground up some different grains into flours in my amazing blentec blender.  I ground up Pearl Barley, Oat Groats, and some Spelt.  I combined them all and used that flour in replace of the almond flour that the recipe called for.  I also added a few tablespoons of applebutter just to make it a little bit more sweet for my kids.  I also added some popped Amaranth.  And instead of raisins I added craisins.  People, this is a successful recipe.  I loved them.  Most of my kids loved them too.  I know it's going to take some time for them to get use to this kind of treat.  But it's the time I have to help them lead a healthy life too.  After all, I'm not just doing this for me, I'm doing this for them.



The only mistake I made was adding baking soda.  The recipe didn't call for any and I was boggled by that.  Which is probably why they are so brown.  So don't add baking soda.  These cookies were a great use of ripe bananas and I will for sure be making them again and again.  Also, there was no dairy in them either, not even eggs. 

This week has been so exciting for me.  I realized the other day that this time around feels so different.  And the difference is my faith in what I'm doing.  I really believe that the changes I'm making is going to change me.  I've never felt this way before.  I've always had doubts and those doubts turned into failure.  Not this time.  It feels great to have hope.  I'm not sure how long it will take for me to see changes.  But at least I'm giving it a year.  I'm not going to give up so easily this time. 

No comments: