Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 8: Life Food, not Diet Food

This morning I made it out the door without any children. I wasn't planning on running. In my mind Wednesdays were suppose to be long walk days. Since yesterday didn't feel much like a workout I psyched myself out and jogged/walked today. It was nice. I felt great. I'm not sure how far I went. I was gone for 45 minutes and I was a sweaty mess when I got home. One of the reasons I love running outside is for landmarks. I can see them off in the distance and I can push myself to them. You can't do that on a treadmill!

I worked really hard at not grazing at 3pmish. I even passed on cookies today at lunch. Which is my goal. No sweets during the week. Although I caved and had about 3 after dinner. Slap that hand of mine. But I still consider today to be a good day. Despite those 3 cookies I didn't munch while preparing dinner. I ate at reasonable times, no grazing in between. I made good choices when I did sit down to eat. And I resisted the temptation to much during baseball games. That's another big win for me today.

I'm not seeing much results on the scale. I keep having to remind myself that this is more then just about weight. It's a lifestyle change. I know, I know, your sick of hearing about that. I have to keep reminding myself of that. I have to cut out the sweets during the week. It's not good for me, or for my children. I have to start incorporating more fruits and veggies in my diet. Those are the things that will help keep me strong and living long.

I need to make a more conscious effort to eat more veggies. And more then just carrot sticks. Although that is a start. I need more, and so do my children. You'd think after years and years and years and years of dieting that I'd be use to eating vegetables. Maybe that's the problem. I look at vegetables as more of diet food, rather then life food. I need to make that mental change.

My goal tomorrow is to go through my fridge, clean it out, take inventory of the veggies that I do have and make a good dinner. Vegetables are life food, not diet food. What a great concept. I'm going to remind myself of that every day and make sure to eat at least 3 servings of veggies a day. In addition to the fruit that I am already eating.

Wow, it's been 8 days. It hasn't been 8 perfect days. But this concept of 100 good days is helping to keep me focused and the task at hand. And that is to change my lifestyle. It's going to be slow. It's going to be hard. I will have bad days. In the end, I hope to have changed my outlook on life and food.

No comments: