Friday, June 4, 2010

Got room for a tag-a-long?

I have decided to join Amberlyn in her quest for a 100 good days. I haven't quite decided what my "good day" will look like but hopefully by the end of writing this post, I will have it all figured out.

I have gained back about 10 pounds of the original 70 that I lost. Last summer, I was down to 163 pounds for a minute or so (really a week) but I don't really count that because I think it was some kind of fluke. When I quit Absolute, I was 174 pounds so that's the number I use to measure where I'm at. So now I'm 184 lbs and it turns out that when you are a size 14, a 10-pound weight gain means you are no longer fitting into your clothes anymore. This is when having a friend who will loan you back the clothes (plus some) you gave her when you dropped to 174 and erroneously thought you'd never gain another single pound in your life is an incredibly good thing! So amid being an almost full-time student, and some health problems, I decided like 2 months go that I would just start losing weight again. This is easier said than done. The first time I lost all that weight, it was my only focus. My day revolved around making correct food choices and making sure I was on track. Now, I feel like a circus juggler trying to keep up with school, the house, the kids, AND my weight and it's a little exhausting. I like the idea of 100 good days because it allows me to work on losing weight but not making it my entire life's focus.

I've had my ups and my downs this week and I think that's because I haven't really put anything down on paper so I'm going to take the weekend and decide what exactly my "good days" are going to look like. Then I will post again Sunday night or Monday morning. Amberlyn and I are checking in at the end of each day so this way I can have actual declarations to check in about instead of just reporting vaguely that I had a "good day". I'm hoping my efforts to post and be accountable will also help encourage Amberlyn-- we have different strengths-- she loves to exercise and I hate it-- I'd rather change my diet than commit to an exercise regime. I have a feeling though that the biggest key to me keeping my status as a reformed heifer (reformed being the key word) is the application of daily exercise in addition to healthy eating. I know that seems like an obvious key but since I lost the 70 pounds without exercising, I really did think I could keep doing that. But the sad truth is that when you are 184 instead of 240 then you don't think eating a treat or bread or pasta is really that big of deal-- you think you've kind of earned the right. So now, I'm vowing to shed my sense of entitlement and get ready to work again!

Thanks for the motivation Amberlyn! I know we can do this!


2 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

I think I've developed that same sense of entitlement. Hence the 10lb. weight gain, and the clothes that don't fit.

Amberlyn said...

It's hard getting back in the groove. I've only found the groove 3 times in my adult life.

I think together we can find it again.