Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fasting

This Sunday is Fast Sunday. Fasting is something that I have struggled with, almost hand in hand with weight loss. As I dedicated myself in January to lose weight, I also committed to fasting. When I fasted for the first time for 24 hrs it was tough as well as rewarding. I had forgotten what it felt like to be hungry. I was constantly feeding my my hunger, my boredom, my stress and frustration. I had forgotten what hunger pangs were, what it felt like to feel my body crave energy. Instead it was drowning in food. I felt full, heavy and sedated. Fasting helped with all of that. I realize that fasting has a greater purpose, and I am discovering the power that comes with faithful fasting. In the beginning I needed help physically and fasting awakened my senses. Not only did it awaken my senses but it helped me discover self-discipline. If I could go for 24 hours without any food, why couldn't I go for a week without sweets?

This is my 6th consecutive month to fast. And every month I have a renewed feeling of self-control, self-discipline and greater self-worth. It is a challenge to go without food when you are a busy mother of 6. To deal with the Sunday morning routine, Sacrament meeting and the battles the ensue there, and then to teach Primary. It is a struggle. But then the knowledge that all this doesn't have to be done on my own. Through the power and strength of Heavenly Father I can make it through. And it is because of Him that I am able to win my battles with weight loss. After all, weight loss is a righteous desire. To no longer feel sick or afflicted. To have the energy and good health to take care of myself and family is a good thing. And it's worth the fight. It's worth fasting and praying for.

1 comment:

Sal-my-gal said...

This is a beautiful post. Between nursing, and being pregnant I've only fasted sporadically in the past 10 years! I'll have to rededicate myself when I'm done nursing this time around.

I have to say that you've inspired me. I stumbled across this blog several months ago, and I check it often. Reading it inspired me to do something myself.

Congratulations on all your accomplishments.